The Crystal Palace Kitchen
Crystal Palace is one of the highest points in London and the views over the capital from here are better than anywhere I have been before. Steep, tree-lined roads with some very grand properties, this part of South London was quite a surprise and a world away from the hustle and bustle of nearby Brixton.
A ‘labour of love’ is how the owners of this house described their renovation of this incredible property, but when we saw it, it just looked like a beautifully grown-up house, all finished inside and out. The kitchen was at the front of the property, but the formally planted, walled garden kept the room very private and you felt a million miles away from Central London. That’s the perfect scenario really, grand property with rambling gardens to the front and back, hidden behind elegant walls yet so close to all that London has to offer. The kitchen began as two rooms but was cleverly changed into one, with central columns that allowed additional wine storage, work surface and a slight separation of spaces without feeling like separate rooms.
The Pantry Blue and Damask paintwork was cool and sophisticated, with pale Silestone worktops and parquet flooring from our sister company Floors of stone. This classic flooring ran throughout the downstairs and added a rich, warm feel to the house which worked really well with the sharp clean lines of the kitchen cupboards.
The beautiful cupboards are from deVOL's Real Shaker Kitchen range, and here's a little more info...
- Clock: ‘Newgate’ clock from TK Maxx.
- Cooker: Smeg ‘Opera’ range in ‘stainless steel’.
- Extractor: ELICA Elibloc extractor.
- Flooring: Solid Oak parquet floor by Floors of Stone.
- Fridge Freezer: from Fisher & Paykel.
- Knobs and Handles: ‘Polished Nickel’ cup handles, catches and knobs by deVOL.
- Lighting: ‘Coolicon’ copper pendants from Artifact Lighting over the island, and rise and fall ‘School’ pendant in ‘polished copper’ by Davey Lighting over the dining table
- Paint Colour: ‘Damask’ on the wall cupboards and ‘Pantry Blue’ elsewhere, both by deVOL.
- Stools: Eastburn Country Furniture.
- Table and Chairs: Eliot Zinc dining table from La Maison Chic, Camargue chairs by Oka.
- Taps: Perrin & Rowe Ionian Taps and hot tap, both in ‘chrome’.
- Worktops: 'Lagoon' Silestone on base cabinets and island and Carrara Marble on the dresser in the dining room.