Sophie’s Bakes: Coconut, Almond & Blueberry Cake
11th July 2018
This week’s bake has become a summer favourite at Cotes Mill. The ground almonds and coconut make it light and fragrant and the blueberries and lemon keep it fresh and juicy. Take the word ‘cake’ out of the title and you’re pretty much reading a list of superfoods! But if you’re going to indulge in a little slice this season, make sure this one’s on your list.
– 180g ground almonds
– 60g desiccated coconut
– 250g caster sugar
– 70g self-raising flour
– ¼ tsp salt
– 4 large eggs
– 200g unsalted butter, melted, then set aside to come to room temperature
– 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
– Finely grated zest of 2 lemons (2 tsp)
– 200g fresh blueberries
– 20g flaked almonds
– Grease and line a 30cm x 20cm baking tin. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas Mark 4.
– Place the almonds, coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to aerate and remove the lumps.
– Place the eggs in a separate medium bowl and whisk lightly.
– Add the melted butter, vanilla extract and lemon zest and whisk again until well combined. Pour this into the dry mix and whisk to combine.
– Fold in the blueberries then pour the mixture into the tin. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top.
– Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Keep a close eye on it towards the end of cooking: the relatively large number of eggs in the mix means that it can go from still being a little bit liquid in the centre to being well cooked in just a few minutes!
– Set aside for 30 minutes before removing from the tin, along with the baking parchment and placing onto a serving plate. It can either be sliced up and served warm with cream or set aside until cool.
– To store, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.